The Christianity and Climate Change Bible Study series: Session 1
“What is your understanding from the Bible of how God views the natural world?”.
Katharine Hayhoe, climate scientist and Tearfund supporter responds to the question:
The key Bible passages for this session are:
- Genesis 1:26 – 28 (The Message translation) – the original Hebrew word ‘radah’ is closer in meaning to ‘responsible for’ rather than ‘rule over’ which is used in some translations.
- Psalm 72 – in the original Hebrew version ‘radah’ is used in this verse 8 of this Psalm and reinforces the true meaning of the word which suggests ‘responsibility for’ and care for creation.
- Genesis 2:15 – God instructs humans to keep the land in order (i.e. look after it and not destroy it).
- Leviticus 25:1-7 – these verses tell us something about the sustainable stewardship of creation, and relate to our care for other people.
- Psalm 104 is a great Psalm of praise to the Creator.
For the Beauty of the Earth by F.S. Pierpoint
Musical arrangement by John Rutter